Today, I want to introduce to you our next nutrition challenge! It’s called the 21-Day Sugar Detox.
It is a program that was developed by Diane Sanfilipo who is a Holistic Nutritionist specializing in Paleo nutrition, blood sugar regulation, food allergies/intolerances and digestive health. Her program is awesome because it takes you step-by-step on a journey to “bust sugar and carb cravings” in just 21 days.
I have read on this and thought about doing this for a long time now. I am addicted to sugar, although not necessarily in its simple form like when used treats. I think I’m more addicted to the quick energy boost that I get from foods that are high in carbohydrate content (Sweet potatoes, Paleo treats, fruit, chocolate). And I know I need a plan to follow to keep me on track.
The 21-Day Sugar Detox is the plan I will follow for this challenge and I hope you will join me!
I would also encourage you to visit Diane’s website Balanced Bites because it has a lot of great information
More than just kicking my “sugar” habit, I’m also looking forward to some other benefits that come from reducing my carbohydrate intake. Some of these benefits include converting from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner, or what Mark Sisson calls “Fat Adapted.” When I was more strict with my eating, I could go 3-4 hours without eating, but now that I have been eating higher amounts of carbs, I find myself getting angry and hungry which I call “hangry.” I feel cranky and even sometimes get sweaty, dizzy, and really tired as a result of low blood sugar. And since my body is relying on me to eat carbohydrates for fuel, it tells me to eat more carbohydrates. If I were to become fat-adapted, my body would know that I don’t consume very many carbohydrates and it would adjust to using stored energy for fuel.
Being fat-adapted is a much healthier way to exist since sugar is linked to so many health problems. High sugar intake is actually linked with several different diseases including heart disease and cancer. It can also contribute to food allergies, aging of our skin, protein malabsorption, lowered immune function, headaches/migraines, hormonal imbalances, and lots more! Not to mention that it displaces many important nutrients in our diets.
This challenge is not to be taken lightly–it will be rough for a few days, or even a few weeks, but it is worth it!
What I like about Diane’s 21-Day Sugar Detox:
- It includes lots of information that is helpful in keeping you motivated to cut out sugar from your diet. And she lists lots of resources to arm you with all the knowledge you need to fight your cravings!
- The program identifies foods that you will need to eliminate and what to replace them with! Diane lists foods that you can eat and takes all the guess-work out of the 21 days.
- The program follows a Paleo diet which is right in line with what I think is the healthiest way to eat. And if you are wanting to follow a Paleo diet, this is a great way to kick it off! Everyone eliminates all refined sources of carbohydrates!
- There are 3 different levels you can choose from for the sugar detox. They vary in where you can get some of your carbohydrates from.
- She outlines modifications for different populations.
- The program includes recipes for those looking for a new way to cook and ideas for meals.
I encourage you to go to the website to check it out! It’s definitely worth your time and money. I will be starting this 21 day sugar detox on Friday, Nov 9th and going to the end of the month. I’m giving you a few days to get the program, read up, and prepare for it. I know it goes into Thanksgiving, but in her program, Diane even gives tips on what to do when a party or event comes up. I think by the time Thanksgiving comes, I will be over sugar anyway. It will be at the very end of the detox.
So, will you join me? Please say, “YES!” I don’t want to do it alone! And I know we will feel so much better!
Along the way I will be posting some tips and tricks, recipes, and troubleshooting. When you have questions, let me know and I can address them!
Let’s do this!